Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Happiness In Hostility

Psalm 119:17–24 (NIV),


17 Be good to your servant while I live, that I may obey your word. 18 Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law. 19 I am a stranger on earth; do not hide your commands from me. 20 My soul is consumed with longing for your laws at all times. 21 You rebuke the arrogant, who are accursed, those who stray from your commands. 22 Remove from me their scorn and contempt, for I keep your statutes. 23 Though rulers sit together and slander me, your servant will meditate on your decrees. 24 Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors.

Father, I can so often think that my obedience is doing You a favor.  What a joke!  Who am I that I should be your benefactor?  I am Your beneficiary.  It is Your goodness to me that enables me to obey Your Word.  It is Your goodness to me that I should even see the beauty and wonder contained within it. If You do not perform this grace in me I am lost.  The world I live in is hostile to me and to anything about doing Your will.  I would rather be a stranger to this world and be Your servant, than be a servant to this world and be a stranger to You.   Your grace to me has inflamed a hunger to know You and obey You.  I feel the opposition of those I live with in this community.  You grant me peace because it is You that will deal with them.  You will rebuke them. You are Jehovah-Nissi.  You are my victory flag. The spirit of the Amalakites still fights against God's people. But You will grant me favor in their sight.  For me I will focus on Your Word and seek with Your help to obey You.  The thrill of my soul does not come from the praise of men and the affirmation of neighbors.  Like cold water on a hot day, Your Word inspires joy in me and inspires direction to me.  I then look to the friendship of Your Word and You take care of the frenzy in the world.  What a great trade off!  What grace!   Who would not love You?  Thank You for being so good.


No comments: