Search This Blog

Saturday, July 26, 2014

In Goodness We Trust!

Psalm 119:65–72 (NIV),


65 Do good to your servant according to your word, Lord
66 Teach me knowledge and good judgment, for I trust your commands. 

      67 Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word. 

68 You are good, and what you do is good; teach me your decrees. 

69 Though the arrogant have smeared me with lies, I keep your precepts with all my heart. 
70 Their hearts are callous and unfeeling, but I delight in your law. 

71 It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees. 72 The law from your mouth is more precious to me than thousands of pieces of silver and gold.

Father Your goodness is never in dispute yet I know my lack of appreciation of it is the source cause of all my failures and all my insecurities. The doubt of Eve is mine too.   Your Word is a living chronicle of Your goodness.  From Adam's sin through to the earth-shaking resurrection; from calling of Abraham to the calling of me, history is a story of Your goodness.  Yes, You are good; You do what's good.  Nothing else is inherently good but You.  When I go outside the counsels of Your Word there is nothing but self-serving lies intended to harm me.  Sometimes, Father, I have had to experience that to recall how amazingly good You really are.  Even when You chastise me with Fatherly severity it still is good.  I admit it takes me awhile to remember that but when I do, it is blatantly obvious that Your mercy disciplines me and it is all for my good -- out of Your goodness.  May recalling Your goodness drive me to Your law and not to a licence to sin.  May I find great treasure in Your precepts that keep me on the straight and the narrow. All for the glory of God and my eternal delight in Him.


No comments: