Search This Blog

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Life In The Flesh But Not Of The Flesh

These verses may be some of the most familiar to us in Galatians.  Paul writes, 

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” (Galatians 2:20, NIV).

"This he addeth, to declare that the law is a devourer of the law. Not only, saith he, I am dead to the law through the law, that I may live to God, but also I am crucified with Christ." [1]

As noted in the previous Blog, there is a law of faith in Christ that supersedes the Law.  "But Christ is Lord over the law, because he is crucified and dead unto the law: therefore am I also lord over the law; for I likewise am crucified and dead unto the law, forasmuch as I am crucified and dead with Christ." [1]  This doctrine is developed fully by the Apostle in Romans 6.  This act of "crucifying" is a incomprehensible work of the Spirit.  "Here Christ doth all himself alone. But I believing in Christ, am by faith crucified also with Christ, so that all these things are crucified and dead also unto me." [1]

This identification with the death of Christ also leads the believer to new life in Christ.  Once "dead" he or she now lives.  But this living is with very clear definition.  "Here he plainly sheweth by what means he liveth; and he teacheth what true Christian righteousness is, namely, that righteousness whereby Christ liveth in us, and not that which is in our person. Therefore when we speak of Christian righteousness, we must utterly reject the person." [1]  The obvious juxtaposition is clear. An individual is placed in one of two dimensions: One, is to live in obedience to the Law; the other is to die and let Christ live through us.

"Now Christ living in me abolisheth the law, condemneth sin and destroyeth death; for it cannot be, but at his presence all these must needs vanish away. For Christ is everlasting peace, consolation, righteousness and life; and to these the terror of the law, heaviness of mind, sin, hell and death, must needs give place. So Christ living and abiding in me, taketh away and swalloweth up all evils which vex and afflict me." [1]

Paul is drawing us away from ourselves; our works; and our merits (which are entirely defective) and leading to Christ, and Christ alone.   But this mounts an obvious objection.  Does this mean we do not live the Christian life?   Are we robots?  Are we inactive?  No!  For Christ to live through us is synonymous with "The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God. "So then I live in the flesh, but not of the flesh or after the flesh, but in the faith of the Son of God." [1]

"... I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” (Galatians 2:20, NIV).  Here the Apostle drives a deep wedge between meritorious effort and sovereign free grace.  Rather than saying, "I am a child of God because I correctly observed the beauty of Christ and set my love upon Him;" the Apostle reminds us that it is Christ who loves us and gave Himself for us.  If this love had not preceded redemption, there would be no justification.    

Father, we who are the redeemed can say without hesitation, we love because You first loved us. You first loved us before the world was created.  In the eternal counsels of the Godhead, You set Your affection upon Your elect people.  Out of love You predestined us.  Out of love Christ was sent, willingly sent, to be our propitiation.  Out of love you freely offered justifying grace to all who would believe.  Out of love, you gave the gift of faith to those You called out of the world.  Out of love You sent Your Holy Spirit to work in us to will and to do of Your good pleasure.  Out of love we live and move in Christ.  All glory, honor, and praise belongs to You.   






_______________________________
1. Luther, M. (1997). Commentary on Galatians (Ga 2:20). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.  

No comments: